A. Admission Criteria
The following are criteria for admissions to undergraduate status
- Completion of secondary school
- TOEFL (iBT) score of 71 or higher (or equivalent)*
- SAT Critical Reading and Math scores totaling 1100 (or equivalent)**
** IBT 71 or ITP/PBT 530 or IELTS 5.5
** SAT 1100 or ACT Composite score 21 or Compass score of 36 for Math and 40 for Reading. Minimum 450 each on SAT Critical Reading and 500 SAT Math,
minimum 10 each on ACT Reading and Math.
B. Admissions Procedure
Students are encouraged to begin the admissions process early. They can apply before they have the results of their baccalaureate examinations for
conditional admissions until the official scores are available.
The application deadline will be set one month before the beginning of each semester. Applications are accepted all year. Applications received after each
semester deadline will be considered for future semesters.
C. Checklist for Admissions
(Due one month before classes start)
- Completed IUGB Application Form
- TOEFL® or equivalent standardized exam
(for University level entrance; if not available, a placement test must be taken)
- Scores from SAT or ACT (for University level entrance; if not available, a placement test must be taken)
- Scores from AP or CLEP tests (if applicable)
- 3 color ID photos of passport quality (1.5 x 1.25 inches or 38 x 32 mm)
- A photocopy of the student’s ID document, and that of the father, mother or legal guardian
- The non-refundable application fee of 50,000 F CFA (payable in cash or certified check only)
- A certified photocopy of the definitive certificate of authentication of the BAC issued by the DECO
(RCI), or of other proof of completion of secondary school (school-leaving certificate, diploma, or other equivalent)
- Letter of intent
- Letter of recommendation from a former teacher or employer (recommended).
- A record of vaccinations given or vaccinations given at IUGB before classes begin.
For international students:
All of the above are required, plus
- Copy of a passport valid for one year from the date of expected start of studies
- Proof of financial means
- Valid Visa if required
For transfer students:
All of the above are required, plus
Official Transcripts from previous institution(s)
Note: Discovery of falsification of documents would result in automatic expulsion.
Gather and complete the documents and materials listed in the Checklist and bring or send them to:
International University of Grand-Bassam
175, rue K12
Deux Plateaux, Boulevard des Martyrs
04 BP 1062 Abidjan 04
D. Placement Testing
Applicants missing TOEFL and or SAT/ACT scores will need to be tested for placement. These students would be tested as follows:
- IPT TOEFL for language placement. Students scoring under 530 (71) would not be eligible for undergraduate status. They would be advised to take UPP or
- Students scoring 530 or higher on the IPT would be given the Compass Reading test as an approximation of the SAT Critical Reading test. A score of 40 or
higher on Compass Reading would be considered as a conditional approximation of the SAT reading equivalent.
- Compass Math – applicants scoring at least 36 on the Compass pre-algebra test would be considered to be eligible for entering university level math
courses if they have been admitted to the University.
- Applicants scoring 35 or less on the Compass pre-algebra test would be placed in Math 0099 or a non-credit university course or advised to take CCE math
courses until passing. A passing grade of 70 or higher would be the required grade.
The admissions committee is an ad hoc committee that will consider each application. The admissions committee can make the following recommendations:
- Undergraduate – fully admitted.
- Undergraduate – conditionally admitted
- Preparatory program – sent to general advising for admittance to UPP or
- Not admitted – (This could be based on prior behavior in UPP, CCE, or IUGB courses; criminal record; etc.)